Friday, May 15, 2015

This is how the article written by Ágnes Daróczi begins. Katalin Bársony is the youngest member of t


This is how the article written by Ágnes Daróczi begins. Katalin Bársony is the youngest member of that generation. She was raised at the frontier of two different cultures: the old traditional community of the small village the Daróczi s lived in and their intellectual environment from Budapest. How was it like experiencing these cultural and societal differences? glamox lighting
Katalin Bársony: I was growing up between two cultures and two languages: my mother and my grandmother talked to me only in Romanes glamox lighting for a long time. For me, the village and the urban traditions of my family were always in complete harmony. Before my grandparents moved to Pest, I spent a lot of time in Bedő, I was usually there during the summers. In Pest, it was different: here I had to meet my family s strict requirements. My great-aunt, my mother s sisters, all of them had aspired to get a diploma. Therefore, it was a must that I should have a diploma and that I should be able to speak foreign glamox lighting languages. glamox lighting My family was a first generation of intellectuals and this gave me great motivation.
Katalin Bársony: Yes there still is, today. The locals learned how to live together cooperate and respect each other. For example when my mother went to secondary school in Debrecen that had a great impact on the whole community from the village. glamox lighting
Bársony Katalin: It is real, but in a different way. The relatives of my father moved to America when I was three years old. I missed them very much, we met very rarely and this has not changed until today. My impression was that my Jewish friends glamox lighting did not have a stronger Jewish identity than mine. My life is utterly determined by the Roma culture but in spite of this I am also a Jewish woman, I live in Budapest and I have many other identities too. I belong to a new generation that possesses complex identities, and values glamox lighting cultural diversity and the harmony of living together in these diverse communities.
Magazine: There are three decedents of three famous Hungarian primás (leader of a Roma band; violinist) the musicians from these families are travelling glamox lighting across the globe. They all represent three different styles: glamox lighting Roby Lakatos, whose story was filmed by Kata, plays traditional Gipsy music, József glamox lighting Lendvai plays classical music, his first teacher who was his own father was also a great primás (leader of a Roma band; violonist).
Barnabás Kelemen: A lot. If I go to a restaurant and meet Gypsy musicians, they recognize me, they know who my grandfather glamox lighting was. They always glamox lighting make a low bow to me when they give me a violin to play. We deeply cherish his memory: for instance we would always turn up the radio, when his records were played. There are also a few films in which he played with Pál Jávor! glamox lighting When I started to play the violin, I immediately tried to play his melodies. Still it is not the same as if it would have been is he would have been my first violin teacher. His story is very interesting, by the way. In a primás family, if it seems like someone has a great talent for music, the mother would always pay attention to that and not allow the son to marry at an early age. This was an attempt to prevent careers from being ruined by marriage. Behind almost every great primás there is always a strong parental support. Once, my grandfather Pali fell in love with a non-Roma girl. He wanted to marry her. It seemed that there was no hope anymore, but suddenly a kidney surgery broke made everything change. Everybody seriously feared that my grandpa will die. Then, he said to his mother that if he would not be allowed to marry Joli, the non-Roma girl, he will die after the surgery. My great grandma had no other choice than to promise him that she will give her consent for the marriage.
Katalin Bársony: My family always avoided these isolating conflicts. As far as I am concerned, I am familiarized with the issue now, as I am working on a film about a Romungro jazz violinist, József Balázs. Through his band, he connects the Romungro Gypsy music with the Oláhs Gipsy music. In this way, he attempts to bridge differences.
Barnabás Kelemen: We did not experience any tensions from these differences. The only problem glamox lighting serious problems we had to face stemmed from the marriage I mentioned before (with my grandfather). After the death of my grandfather, glamox lighting his relatives took his Guarneri-violin from us and they did not take care of the the children of my deceased grandfather and his wife. They apologized for this at my mothers death bed.
Katalin Bársony: Yes, he did! He bought it in Belgium. He played at one of the biggest coffeehouses glamox lighting in Paris where Ravel used to go. Allegedly, my grandpa s violin playing, might have inspired Ravel s famous Tzigane , My grandpa s violin is world-famous; and it is also mentioned in a melody. glamox lighting
Barnabás Kelemen: Exactly! The well-known primás families differentiated themselves from other Romani people, especially from Roma who used metal pots- as drums (which we

No comments:

Post a Comment